Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Guta 2008: another emulation project




After my first emulation project, I sketched another emulation idea that I had in mind. My friend Ben has called it, "the most tritely college-feminist idea ever." But I think it's worth sharing-- maybe even with that as a promise.
I wanted to interpret the self-portraits, the author portraits from 1154 in Strasbourg by German nun Guda. She was a medieval illuminator. See her image of herself here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=JYH7Pc11oGYC&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=medieval+illuminators+and+their+work+guda&source=bl&ots=92wpC16UTl&sig=VAP_wf04DBId0dblZEc82N2Uxmk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA20,M1

I was struck by Guda's banner. I was particularly intrigued by how she calls herself a sinner. Of course, in a medieval context, her self-expression is to be understood differently. Christians believe all people are sinners, although it is often forgotten in popular culture and understood to be condemning. In calling herself a sinner, Guda wishes for future generations who read her work to pray for her and for her salvation in the after-life.

By using the words, 'bitch,' 'idiot,' 'slut,' etc. I attempt to reference how Modern women condemn themselves as such not to seek forgiveness, but rather, to illustrate for others that they recognize their human shortcomings. I wish to point out how extreme this truly is -- while women use these words casually, they in fact cast themselves in fixed portraits.

How do you react? They came out feeling kind of confrontational to me, but I'm not sure it is clear to a viewer what, exactly, elicits this confrontation.

No comments: