Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Most Important Photograph

All of my family's photos are out of order. We keep them in cabinets no one ever opens in the basement. But one day, about seven or eight years ago now I did. I'm not sure what I was looking for. In those cabinets, photos are stored sometimes in shoe boxes. Sometimes they are stacked in their frames to dust in piles. I found a cheap, clear plastic-framed one from what I think is the late seventies. I think it's from this time because it was printed on photo paper to be used straight away as a postcard (you can see through the plastic frame). I also think it's from this time because of its subject: the nape of my mother's neck. She is holding her blonde hair up with one hand for the photographer to capture that specific spot. As I went through more photos, I realized it was taken by my father--there were many in similar styles, taken on the same type camera, by him. I found it so interesting because I had never seen such a level of intimacy between too people communicated in a photo. And also, I was surprised then that my parents had that closeness.

No comments: